Case of the month - Zaragoza

DECEMBER 2012
GREEN BUILDING POLICIES - INTERNATIONAL CASES






Policy
Zaragoza Municipal Urban Rehabilitation Program
City
Zaragoza
Promotor
City Council of Zaragoza
Establishment   

Municipal key instruments launched sequentially: Declaration of integral rehabilitation areas in 2009, Municipal Law on power eco efficiency and use of renewable energies in buildings and their facilities in 2009, and Municipal Urban Rehabilitation Plan in 2010.
Territorial scope
Local Level



Target Buildings



Owner

 Type

 Function

Public buildings

 New buildings    
 Residential

Private buildings
 Existing buildings
 Industrial, services, etc.

Main Targets 



 
  • Reduce the city’s CO2 emissions by 11,400 metric tons per year;
     
  • Set up a rehabilitation funding scheme so that 20% of the total cost of works would be assumed  by the owner and the remaining 80% would come from institutional partnerships;
     
  • Improve the efficiency of domestic heating systems as well as promote development of bioclimatic buildings and solar energy. 
Main Results  
   
  • In private rehabilitation area,  has been granted an aid by an amount of 45.554.321€ to benefit 2.800 buildings and more than 32.170 homes throughout the city;
  • Rehabilitation of 41.000 dwellings built for more than 40 years in different districts and in the old town using also social criteria;
  • Over the past 20 years an investment of 128 million euros have produced a significant change in neighborhoods like Rabal, Picarral and La Jota.
Summary



Zaragoza municipal urban rehabilitation program is an integrative and cross-process composed by three municipal key instruments: Declaration of integral rehabilitation areas (2009-2012), Municipal Law on power eco efficiency and use of renewable energies in buildings and their facilities (2009) and Municipal Urban Rehabilitation Plan (2010).

The strategic objectives for the implementation of this program include:

  • Overpassing the building scale to the urban or neighborhood scale;
  • Energy efficiency criteria, quality of construction, safety and comfort;
  • Renewal of the urban environment, improving accessibility, sustainable mobility and other services;
  • Create mixed management structures (public-private) for decision making and streamline the entire process;
  • Financing these performances through a public-private collaboration model, with a smaller share of public subsidies and demand economic returns with viable configuration;
  • Funding from European programs specifically designed for buildings rehabilitation, energy efficiency and renewable energies.
 

The process

The initial public initiatives to promote built heritage rehabilitation were linked to the historic center of Zaragoza city. Since 1989, Zaragoza Municipality through the Housing Zaragoza public entity has been developing urban policies that initially affected only the historical district, and since 2001 have spread to the rest of the city through the municipal rehabilitation plan to encourage private rehabilitation.

In the nearly 20 years that have elapsed since the first municipal rehabilitation plan introduction, the city of Zaragoza has given more than 44 million euros in aid, which has resulted in the rehabilitation of 41.000 dwellings.

More recently, two municipal laws have been passed, one about new buildings - Municipal law on energy eco-efficiency and use of renewable energies in buildings and its systems (2009), and another one revising the focus on rehabilitation - Municipal ordinance for rehabilitation (2010). 

 


Municipal Ordinance for Rehabilitation

 

In the new ordinance to promote Housing Rehabilitation starts to prevail energy efficiency, use of renewable energy and accessibility for disabled, according to the regional and state legislation. Its main purpose is to regulate municipal actions, designed to promote the private rehabilitation.

To this end, it was defined a scope and a classification of rehabilitation activities, and a reference to the municipal planning regulations according to the characteristics of the buildings covered by it.

Meanwhile, the general objectives of the Municipal Ordinance for Rehabilitation are running to solve or mitigate, at the same time, housing, urban and social problems. This Ordinance seeks to update and extend to all types of building standards and to establish criteria for awarding aid combining a time, consistency and quality of the rehabilitation work.

 

Declaration of Integral Rehabilitation Areas

Zaragoza City Council, the Ministry of Housing and the Government of Aragon signed an agreement for the creation and implementation of two integrated rehabilitation areas in Zaragoza city located in the following areas: Las Fuentes, Picarral, Delicias, San José, Arrabal and Zaragoza historic center. The Declaration of integral rehabilitation areas policy was developed to create a financial scheme so that 20% of the total works cost would de made by the owner and the remaining 80% would come from institutional partnerships.

These actions involve a integrative rehabilitations process in degraded neighborhoods and centers or buildings affected by structural problems, with concentration of slum and shanty towns, as well as improvements works for livability, security, accessibility and energy efficiency.

 

Municipal Law on Power Eco Efficiency and Use of Renewable Energies in buildings and their facilities

The municipal law on power eco efficiency and use of renewable energies in buildings and facilities was approved to develop the efficiency of domestic heating systems as well as to promote the increase of bioclimatic buildings and solar energy systems.

The political decision has committed to the objectives of the Local Agenda 21, which meet the objectives of improving the efficiency of domestic heating facilities and promote the construction of bioclimatic buildings with solar energy support.

     
Links
http://www.zaragozavivienda.es/rehabilitacion-urbana/ordenanza.asp
http://www.zaragoza.es/ciudad/normativa/detalle_Normativa?id=1442
http://www1.dpz.es/bop/2010/08/pdf/bop0831.pdf